After Over A Day Of Cleaning And Repairing, I-35W In Fort Worth Reopens After Deadly Pileup – CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – All lanes of Interstate-35W north of downtown Fort Worth have been reopened after Thursday’s massive buildup that left six dead and dozen injured.

The crews spent the whole day on Thursday and most of Friday cleaning up and repairing the damaged road surface.

CONNECTED: Dallas County reports 939 new COVID-19 cases, 8 deaths on Saturday

Approximately 133 vehicles with multiple 18-wheelers have all now disappeared after being stacked on a bridge in a section of the freeway north of downtown. In the late afternoon there were only a few road repair trucks and police vehicles left.

The identities of the six victims who died were released: William Williams, 54, Christopher Vardy, 49, Michael Wells, 47, Tiffany Louann Gerred, 34, and Aaron Watson, 45, and 46 -year-old Tamara Mendoza Querales.

The wreck prompted the new Fort Worth Police Chief Neil Noakes to make his first post as chief on Twitter. “Yesterday we witnessed the most devastating accident anyone in @CityofFortWorth could ever remember. The loss of life and destruction was absolutely heartbreaking, but the reaction from @fortworthpd, @FortWorthFire, @MedStarEMSInfo, tow drivers and everyone working behind the scenes has been nothing short of amazing, ”he wrote.

However, police on Friday did not answer questions about the wreck, the investigation or the work that has been done since the update on Thursday afternoon.

CONNECTED: Public tour plans, funeral of North Texas Congressman Ron Wright announced

There was also no new information from the fire department, MedStar or the mayor’s office on Friday.

North Tarrant Express, which manages the express lanes on which the piling occurred, released a statement Friday night:

The entire NDE family joins the wider community in mourning over what happened on Thursday morning. We will put all resources of the Fort Worth Police and Fire at their disposal and assist in any way we can as we all deal with this tragedy. We are also working with the authorities to investigate this incident.

Using procedures approved by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), our crews began pre-treating the corridor well before the storm earlier this week. In the hours and days after the accident, the North Tarrant Express 35W road safety teams worked with Fort Worth forces to clear the interstate corridor and identify damage and potential safety issues related to the accident. The traffic safety team is coordinating with the City of Fort Worth and TxDOT to ensure that all safety precautions are in place when the corridor is reopened to traffic.

As the storm intensifies over the next few days, we will continue to take appropriate precautions and prepare our roads, including pre-treating the roads on all sections of the motorway, whether they are multi-purpose lanes, managed lanes, front roads and ramps. Our team carefully monitors the entire corridor and dispatches teams to address specific areas on-site if icy conditions develop. Given the forecast for the next few days, we recommend everyone avoid unnecessary travel. If you need to be on the move, please drive with caution.

MORE: DFW-Wetter: Dangerous travel conditions, which due to ice are expected to start on Sunday evening

Brine and sand trucks have been seen in the area handling the streets before reopening.

Comments are closed.