St. Louis dad vows to keep searching for 8-year-old daughter’s murderer

“My daughter should still be alive and here with us. I want the police to pay more attention to your unsolved murder, ”said Rasheed Thompson.

ST. LOUIS – “We planned it months in advance. Me, my sister and my cousin,” said Shardae Edmondson.

August 23, 2019 was supposed to be a fun night for the then 11-year-old Shardae Edmondson, then 11, and her sisters, 7-year-old Zha-lea and 8-year-old Jurnee Thompson.

The girls looked forward to attending a soccer jamboree at Soldan High School in the Academy District in northern St. Louis.

“We all just wanted to go out and spend some time together,” Shardae said.

But in a flash there was a big fight with at least 100 students during the soccer game, the police in St. Louis said.

They said about 30 minutes later that shots had been fired near the high school.

Jurnee, just down the street with her sisters, was shot in the stomach.

The third grader later died in a St. Louis hospital.

“We looked around and I just saw Jurnee lying in a big pile of blood. It happened right in front of my eyes. Everyone was standing around them and didn’t know what had happened,” her sister recalled.

Two 16-year-old boys and a 64-year-old woman were also wounded in the shooting.

“My sister was a very helpful and caring person. I loved her so much,” said Shardae.

“It’s just very tough for all of us,” said Jurnee’s father Rasheed Thompson.

Almost two years after losing his little girl, Thompson said he and Jurnee’s sisters are still undergoing therapy.

“It’s very frustrating. It’s a lost life and I have a feeling things are being swept under the rug,” he said.

Police said almost two years later that no one had been arrested on the case.

Jurnee’s disappointed father hopes that will change soon.

“I want more attention to be drawn to my daughter’s case than ever before. I’m a single father raising two girls now, and I’m not going to quit until I get justice for Jurnee,” Thompson said.

“The person who (Journee shot) took a part of me and I never really got that part back,” said Shardae, sobbing.

Police said the case remained “open and active” and asked anyone with information to call CrimeStoppers at 866-371-TIPS.

Comments are closed.